Rudraksha stands for tears of Rudra (Lord Shiva). According to the ancient scriptures, lord Shiva shed the tears of love and compassion, out of compassion for the world, that later took the form of Rudraksha.
Rudraksha is a seed obtained from the fruit that grows on the tall and majestic Rudraksha tree. It contains the essence of all the five elements – Earth, Water, Fire, Air, and Sky in perfect balance. They have vibratory influences on the physical and spiritual body.
A timeless jewel. Rudraksha mala aids a spiritual seeker in his spiritual endeavours. The rudraksha bracelet and mala are leveraged while practicing meditation and mantra chanting. Performing spiritual practices using a Rudraksha Mala or bracelets enhances reverence, one is blessed with a heightened sense of awareness, mindfulness, self-knowledge and compassion.
There are multiple types of Rudraksha that come with different “Mukhis” or “Faces”, ranging from 1 to 21 “mukhis”. 1 to 14 Mukhis are commonly found among them. Some of the Rudraksha have over 22 vertical lines, however, those are extremely rare, and their properties have also not been studied yet.
Types Of Rudraksha & Their Significance
1 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruled Deity – Shiva
Ruling Planet – AllBeej Mantra – || Om Namah Shivaya ||
- Ruled by Shiva, this Rudraksha is beneficial for attaining super consciousness.
- This Rudraksha beholds the power to destroy all sins and lead the individual to moksha.
- Elevation of awareness towards the absolute consciousness of the divine
- Only the chosen ones, graced by Lord Shiva and divine karma, get the opportunity to wear this rare 1 Mukhi Rudraksha.
- On a mental level, the mind shifts towards Partattva Dharana cha jayate Tatprakashnam, the supreme element.
- On a physical level, the 1 Mukhi Rudraksha helps to heal mental diseases such as migraines.
2 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Ardhanareshwar
Ruling Planet – MoonBeej Mantra – || Om Namah ||
- The wearer is blessed with unity and harmony, as this rudraksha signifies both Shiva and Shakti.
- It symbolizes intimate relationships such as that of Guru-Shishya, parents-children, husband-wife.
- Promotes and maintains oneness in relationships.
- On a spiritual level, it removes the negative elements of the planet moon.
- On a physical level, it cures emotional instability, releases fear, insecurity, and gives inner happiness and fulfillment.
3 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Agni
Ruling Planet – SunBeej Mantra – || Om Kleem Namah ||
- Represents the god of fire Agnidev.
- The three Mukhi Rudraksha relieves the wearer from the bondage of their past births, the karmas related to his path and then directing them towards success based on the karma of his current life.
- The wearer of this Rudraksha never falls in the loop of the cycle of life, safe to say that they attain moksha after their current life.
- On a mental level, the wearer is uplifted, so that he can rise to the illuminated pure self from low self-esteem.
- On a physical level, it relieves the wearer from stomach and liver related ailments.
4 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Brihaspati
Ruling Planet – JupiterBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Namah ||
- The 4 Mukhi Rudraksha improves mental power, vocal power, wit, and intelligence, hence, for those seeking the power of knowledge and creativity.
- The wear of the four Mukhi Rudraksha is also blessed with a melodious voice.
5 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Rudra Kalagni
Ruling Planet – JupiterBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Namah ||
- 5 Mukhi Rudraksha is helpful for those seeking to find their higher selves, or UpaGuru.
- Enhances awareness, intellect, memory, and word power.
- This Rudraksha is usually leveraged while chanting mantras as it helps them to connect with the grace of Shiva, effortlessly.
- Panchmukhi Rudraksha removes the wearer from the negative energy of planet Jupiter.
6 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Kartikeya
Ruling Planet – MarsBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Hoom Namah ||
- Promotes stability and pacifies the planet Mars.
- Relieves the wearer from mental lethargy, and emotional instability, hence strengthening their willpower and focus.
- The wearers will be blessed with the abundance of material possessions such as properties and vehicles.
7 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Laxmi
Ruling Planets – VenusBeej Mantra – || Om Hoom Namah ||
- It symbolizes health, wealth, and new opportunities.
- For those suffering from financial and luck-related miseries, 7 Mukhi Rudraksha is suitable.
- The wearer progresses with name, fame, and abundance.
8 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Ganesh
Ruling Planets – KetuBeej Mantra – || Om Hoom Namah ||
- Possesses the power to eliminate obstacles, evils in the wearer’s path to success
- The person who wears it will be blessed with knowledge, wisdom, and wealth.
9 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Durga
Ruling Planets – RahuBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Hoom Namah ||
- Symbolizes dynamism, energy, power, and fearlessness.
- Provides –
- Bhogha – worldly comforts, luxury, and desire fulfillment,
Moksha – liberation.
10 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Krishna
Ruling Planets – AllBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Namah Namah ||
- Symbolizes eternal peace.
- The wearer is well protected against negative energies.
- Provides success in land deals, court cases, debts, and other such losses.
- According to ancient texts and scriptures, the 10 mukhi rudraksha is one of the most powerful Rudrakshas that can calm all the nine planets.
11 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – 11 Rudras
Ruling Planets – AllBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Hoom Namah ||
- The 11 mukhi rudraksha beads have powers equivalent to performing 1000 Ashvamedha Yajna and 100 Vajpaye Yajna.
- Beholds the capacity to increase the level of awareness, wisdom, divine consciousness, control over senses, right judgment, vocabulary, success, fearlessness, and adventure.
- Calms and balances all planets.
12 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Sun
Ruling Planets – SunBeej Mantra – || Om Kraum Ksaum Raum Namah ||
- The wearer obtains the qualities of the sun – rule with brilliance, radiance, power, and leadership qualities.
- It also helps to release worries, stress, low self-esteem, anger, and suspicion.
- The wearer is also self-motivated.
13 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Kamadeva
Ruling Planets – VenusBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Namah ||
- Symbolizes worldly desires.
- Enhances the hypnotic power of Vashikaran, of the wearer and their power of attracting material possessions.
- It also awakens many Siddhis by raising the Kundalini energy.
14 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Hanuman
Ruling Planets – MarsBeej Mantra – || Om Namah ||
- 14 Mukhi Rudraksha is one of the most precious divine gems, also known as the Deva mani.
- Symbolizes the qualities of lord Hanuman – strong willpower, brevity, and courage,
- Enhances the Hanuman side of the wearer, subsequently, everything comes naturally.
- Is said to calm the “mangal dosha” in the wearers chart and hence, the ultimate protector from the negative effects of Mars.
15 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Pashupatinath
Ruling Planet – MercuryBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Namah ||
- Heals the heart chakra.
- Frees the wearer from loneliness, grief, depression, and other illness related to heart
- Wearing this 15 mukhi rudraksha would liberate the individual from worldly attachments and focus towards knowledge, creation, wealth generation
16 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Mahamrityunjaya Shiva
Ruling Planet – MoonBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Hoom Namah ||
- On a physical level, the 16 mukhi Ridraksha has the power to heal diseases, by releasing fears, and insecurities. It protects the wearer from illness.
- On a spiritual level, it liberates the person from fear of death
- On the energetic level, it protects the wearer from malicious people and negative energies.
- It is for those who have fear of loss of a loved one, or fear of loss of name or fame, or loss of faith in oneself or God or death or nightmares.
- The power of wearing the 16 Mukhi Rudraksha is equivalent to chanting the Maha Mrityunjaya mantra 125,000 times daily.
- It is also widely believed that even Lord Yama turns back from the wearer of 16 Mukhi Rudraksha
17 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Katyani Devi
Ruling Planet – SaturnBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Hoom Hoom Namah ||
- The wearer of this Rudraksha is blessed with the fruits of Artha, Dharma, Kama, and Moksha.
- Highly suitable for political leaders, businessmen, project leaders desiring luck and growth in their career.
- It liberates the wearer from losses, diseases, sadness, and fears.
- Other desires such as prosperity, progeny, getting a life partner, etc. are fulfilled by the 17 Mukhi Rudraksha.
- According to Katyayani tantra, the 17 mukhi rudraksha is ruled by Mata Katyani, the sixth form of Goddess Durga, and hence, the wearer is blessed with materialistic desires, wealth, and good fortune.
18 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Bhumi Devi
Ruling Planet – EarthBeej Mantra – || Om Hreem Shreem Vasudhaye Swaha ||
- It is blessed by Bhumi Devi, the divine wife of Lord Vishnu.
- One of the most powerful Rudraksha designed for prosperity.
- Katyayani Tantra says that the wearer is blessed with health, wealth, intelligence, and prosperity.
- Bhumi symbolizes mother Earth. Hence, the wearer of this rudraksha paves the path of success in business, wealth, land, and other transactions.
19 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Narayana
Ruling Planet – MercuryBeej Mantra – || Om Vam Vishnave Sheershayane Swaha ||
- The wearer will have a fulfilling life; with no lack of wealth, success, health, or abundance.
- It is also worn to attract a perfect life partner.
20 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling God – Brahma
Ruling Planet – EarthBeej Mantra – || Rudrarupaye Kalpanthe Namastubhyam Trimurtaye ||
- It is meant for attaining divine knowledge in Creation, science, arts, and music.
- Wearing it would increase the creativity, knowledge, and intellect too.
- It is most suitable for those with the desire to manifest projects for benefit of humanity
21 Mukhi Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Kubera
Ruling Planet – EarthBeeja Mantra – || Om Yakshaya Kuberaya Vaishravanaya, Dhan Dhanyadhipataye, Dhan Dhanya Srimdhim mein Dapya Dapya Swaha ||
- Ruled by Kubera, the lord of wealth, this 17 mukhi rudraksha is one of the rarest among all the Rudrakshas. Lord Kubera owns the title of “King of Kings” (Rajaraja), “king of the whole world”, “Lord of the riches”, “Giver of wealth” (Dhanada), and the “Wealthiest Deva”.
- Heals all kinds of diseases.
- Power to increase wealth, even for the poverty stricken.
- Protects the wearer from evil energies.
- Highly suitable for travelers since Kubera is considered to be the guardian of the travelers.
Ruling Deity – GaneshBeej Mantra – || Om Hoom Namah ||
- The trunk that’s elevated resembles the face of lord Ganesha.
- Protects the worshippers in every aspect of their life.
Garbh Gauri Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Parvati and Ganesh
Ruling Planet – SunBeej Mantra – || Om Trimurti Devaya Namah ||
- Known as Trijuti, is also one of the rarest Rudrakshas.
- Represents all three trinities – Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva.
- Enhances the power of the wearer to achieve accolades and greatness, and is the most suitable for leaders, spiritual seekers and project managers.
Gauri Shankar Rudraksha
Ruling Deity – Shiva and Parvati
Ruling Planet – SunBeej Mantra – || Om Shree Gauri Shankaraya Namah ||
- Represents the united form of Shiva – Parvati.
- Gauri Shankar Rudraksha is believed to open the Hrit Padma Chakra and align the inner soul of the wearer with universal love.
- Most suitable for attracting the suitable life partner with the grace of Shiva and Shakti, harmonizing relationships with the partner, and meditation.
After such heavy duty knowledge that you have gained, let’s tell you some
Fun Facts About Rudraksha
Ek Mukhi Rudraksha
The ek mukhi rudraksha is believed to be the closest to Lord Shiva. When possessed, it is considered to bring all kinds of materialistic pleasure and wealth. Although, the most commonly worn by people is panchmukhi or five-faced Rudraksha.
Mala And The Number Of Beads
Conventionally, all the beads are strung together on a cotton or a silk thread as a Mala. 108 plus one is the most commonly worn number of beads. The plus one bead is the “Bindu”. Having the Bindu in the rudraksha mala is necessary, or, the energies become cyclical and the wearer who is sensitive may feel dizzy. An adult must not wear a rudraksha mala with less than 84 beads, plus the Bindu. Any number over that is acceptable.
As the followers of Shaivism, believe the Rudraksha beads shield the wearer against the negative energies that may surround them. Even in todays’ modern, yet competitive world, it is possible for malicious people to leverage and direct negative energies to cause harm to others, for personal gains. The Atharva Veda is all about leveraging these energies to your own advantage and someone else’s detriment. The Rudraksha beads and mala help to build a metaphorical cocoon of the wearer’s own energy, shielding them against negativity.
Chanting and Japa Yoga
Rudraksha beads are perceived to be the most effective if the wearer practices Japa Yoga, wherein, the Beej Mantra dedicated to the type of rudraksha is reiterated verbally, or mentally 108 times a day, keeping a count of the Rudraksha beads and at the same time surrendering themself to Lord Shiva’s infinite, and all-pervasive presence.
Significance for Health
The Rudraksha Beads are also believed to have numerous scientific properties that hold weightage in Ayurvedic medicine. It is said to significantly reduce the wearer’s blood pressure, soothes their nerves, and brings a certain tranquility and alertness to the nervous system. It helps the wearer to calm down and be more focused
And To Conclude
The ardent followers of Shaivism regard the Rudraksha as sacred, and believe that it originated from lord Shiva’s own tears.Hence, people believe in its miraculous powers, which when possessed, brings them closer to lord Shiva, developing a spiritual connection with him.
The associated deity, and the Beej Mantra, is to be chanted while wearing the Rudraksha. The celestial body associated with the rudraksha bead varies from one type of Mukhi to another.
The situation around the rudraksha wearer may not always be conducive to encourage peace, harmony, health, growth and prosperity, it may not let the wearer settle down. The followers of Shaivism believe that the Rudraksha beads create a metaphorical bubble of the wearers’ own positive energy. For someone who is perpetually on the go, wearing a rudraksha could prove to be very good support because it creates a bubble, blocking negativity far away.